The Role of Civil Engineering in Sustainable Development
Civil engineers play a crucial role in planning, architecting, and building how goods, services, and products are distributed and consumed, whether they are indulging in the construction of new buildings, water dams, bridges, etc. Civil engineers who graduated from the top Civil Engineering colleges play a significant role in the extensive chain of contemporary production and use of natural resources and helping the country to achieve its Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
And as you are aspiring for this degree from the best private colleges in India, you should be aware of the role of Civil Engineering in Sustainable development to make a profitable & successful career. Read this blog, to know more.
What is sustainable development?
A strategy for a nation’s economic growth without compromising the environment’s quality for future generations is known as sustainable development.
What is a Civil engineering course?
Infrastructures such as roads, bridges, tunnels, schools, hospitals, airports, and other buildings, and sewage and water treatment facilities are all part of the planning, designing, building, maintaining, and supervising processes involved in Civil engineering. The best Civil Engineering colleges in India offer BTech and MTech Civil engineering courses. This course curriculum also covers enhancing current infrastructure and safeguarding public and environmental health with the aim of sustainable development.
Candidates must have secured a minimum aggregate of 50% marks in class 10+2 with main subjects such as mathematics, physics, and chemistry.
Candidates must have studied class 12th from an accredited board of education.
Engineering firms, construction companies, waste management companies, Railway companies, and Utility companies
Building control surveyor
Number of seats
The Role of Civil Engineering in Sustainable Development
After completing your Civil Engineering course from private engineering colleges in Jaipur, as a civil engineer, you’ll be involved in various phases of construction. And here, we’ll discuss what will be the role of civil engineers in making sustainable development projects in different phases.
1. Planning stage– Graduates from top-rated Civil Engineering colleges ensure resource conversation during the planning stage of the construction project. For ex- If they are involved in the construction of multistory buildings, they’ll focus on minimising the stress on the soil, and ensure that the site should have adequate bearing capacity. They also include a rainwater harvesting system and a proper drainage system on the site.
At this phase, a plan for material acquisition from local suppliers, site storage, and work camp preparation is required.
2. Operational stage- In this stage, Civil Engineering experts from the best colleges for BTech in civil engineering, such as Arya College, prefer materials that are safe and renewable by conducting the research and experiment instead of using hazardous materials in the construction process. Using renewable resources also helps in reducing the cost of the projects and will make it long-lasting. Some examples of sustainable materials are anti-bacterial putty, polymer putty, and building blocks.
3. Execution stage– In this stage, civil engineers from renowned Civil Engineering colleges, will implement all the ideas and planning they have done in previous phases. They ensure the proper hygiene standards are maintained at the site, and the workers are doing optimum utilisation of renewable resources by minimising wastage and causing minimum pollution in the environment.
4. Demolition stages– Demolition and building material disposal are significant difficulties. Here, the civil engineer must determine which material can be recycled and used and who are its potential consumers.
Benefits of using sustainable methods in Civil Engineering
Civil Engineering colleges during your BTech course, will equip you with the necessary skills and knowledge of using sustainable practices in your future career.
Let’s take a look at understanding what benefit you can have by following sustainable methods-
It makes the project affordable.
Helps in Improving the health condition of society.
It reduces waste by recycling and reusing the material.
Helps in Increasing the productivity
Lesser noise pollution
Room for experimentation
Helps in making a positive impact on society.
It goes without saying that sustainable construction is in demand in the current environment, with the ice caps melting, the climate changing, and global warming on the rise. To encourage sustainable design practices, civil engineers must choose more environmentally friendly materials, bring recyclable materials for use, and develop innovative solutions. And to get a detailed understanding of how you can develop such sustainable development projects, you can enrol in the BTech Civil Engineering program at the best colleges in Jaipur.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which sustainable tools and technologies are adopted for sustainable construction?
Below- mentioned are the sustainable tools and technologies adopted for sustainable construction are-
Water efficiency technologies
Sustainable indoor environment technologies
2. What are the smart designing methods and considerations in sustainable construction?
The smart designing methods and considerations in sustainable construction
Addition of plants, trees, and gardens to enhance the air quality.
Reuse of greywater
The smart design also includes rainwater harvesting systems, waste management, net metering, etc.
Smart placement of windows to get sufficient sunlight.
Using insulation in the project.
3. Why choose Arya College, Jaipur for studying Civil Engineering?
Arya College Jaipur is Rajasthan’s well-known engineering college that offers valuable education and is committed to providing 100% placement to students in companies such as TCS, L&T infotech, Capgemini, cisco, etc. The college also offers a one-of-a-kind infrastructure with Labs, a library, a research & development centre, career development centre which makes it distinguishable from other engineering colleges in Rajasthan.
4. What are some examples of Green buildings in India?
The green building concept is getting popular in India and engineers of top Civil Engineering colleges are building eco-friendly structures. Here, is the list of top green buildings in India-