Everything you need to know about Passport Form DS3053

Passport Form DS-3053 is a document used by the U.S. Department of State to obtain parental consent for a minor’s passport application. This form is required when the child applying for a passport is under the age of 16 and only one parent or legal guardian is able to appear in person with the child to apply for the passport. Form DS-3053 serves as an affidavit of consent and must be notarized by a notary public or another authorized official (learn more at https://onenotary.us/ds-3053-form-passport-parental-consent/). The form must include the name of the child, the name of the parent or legal guardian who is providing consent, and a statement granting permission for the child to obtain a passport. The purpose of Form DS-3053 is to ensure that both parents or legal guardians have given their consent for the issuance of the passport for their child and to prevent any potential child custody disputes or abductions.

Where can I find a DS-3053 application?

You can obtain a DS-3053 form from the U.S. Department of State website. Here are the steps to follow to get the form:

  • Go to the U.S. Department of State website.

  • Click on the “U.S. Passports” option in the top menu bar.

  • Select the “Passport Forms” option from the dropdown menu.

  • Scroll down the page to the “Statement of Consent – Form DS-3053” section and click on the link to download the form.

  • The form can be filled out electronically or printed and completed by hand.

Alternatively, you can also obtain a DS-3053 form at any U.S. passport agency or acceptance facility. You can find the nearest passport agency or acceptance facility by using the “Acceptance Facility Search Page” on the Department of State website.

How do I fill out form DS3053 for a passport?

Here are the general steps to fill out a Passport Form DS-3053:

  • Download and print a copy of Form DS-3053 from the U.S. Department of State’s website.

  • It is required that the PDF DS3053 form be printed out and filled out using black ink. The PDF file contains the instructions as part of its content. Because of the potential for delays in application processing periods caused by incomplete forms or writing that is illegible, it is advised that this minor passport consent form be filled out in a whole and legible manner.

  • Complete the first section, “Statement of Consent,” by providing the following information:

    • The full name of the minor child for whom the passport is being sought.

    • The date of birth of the minor child.

    • The full names of the parents or legal guardians of the minor child.

    • Your relationship to the minor child (e.g., parent, legal guardian).

    • Your current address and phone number.

    • Your U.S. passport number (if applicable).

  • Complete the second section, “Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances,” only if there are special circumstances that make it difficult for one of the parents or legal guardians to appear in person with the child. You will need to explain the circumstances in this section.

  • Sign and date the form in the presence of a notary public. Make sure to bring a valid government-issued photo ID with you when you go to get the form notarized.

  • If you are the non-applying parent or guardian providing consent, be sure to submit the notarized Form DS-3053 with the passport application.

It’s important to note that the instructions for filling out Form DS-3053 may change from time to time, so it’s always a good idea to refer to the most up-to-date instructions on the U.S. Department of State’s website. Additionally, if you have any questions or concerns about filling out the form, you may want to seek the advice of a legal professional.